LEED, BREEAM and VERDE are green building certification systems, which assess buildings as opposed to products. When products by Porcelanosa are used in building projects, they can contribute to the achievement of a certain rating for that building by obtaining more points than other alternative products.
With these green certification systems (LEED, BREEAM and VERDE), third-party checks are conducted and successful building projects are certified as having been designed and built using strategies conceived to improve on key environmental aspects of their design, such as energy saving, efficient water consumption, a reduction in C02 emissions, improvements to the building’s indoor environmental quality, the use of recycled materials or ones with an ecolabel (EPDs, Ecolabels, carbon footprint certificates etc.), the use of local raw materials close to the production plant so as to cut down on transport etc.
PORCELANOSA’s products are designed to help architects obtain certain points or credits awarded by these green certification systems, thus facilitating the materials specification process.
Depending on the global rating that it achieves, a building will be certified as falling into one of the following categories:
- LEED, basic, silver, gold and platinum.
- BREEAM, pass, good, very good, excellent, outstanding.
- VERDE, ranging from a one-leaf certificate to a five-leaf one.
Porcelanosa products can be used to obtain LEED, BREEAM and VERDE points in different categories of the rating systems, depending on their use:
- Recycled material content.
- Environmental certificates (ecolabels).
- Easy to care for, with no need for aggressive chemical substances.
- Energy performance (e.g. minimizing energy consumption by using pale colours with a high solar reflectance index (SRI) on façades in places with hot climates or in interiors).
- Water consumption. (e.g. using a tile with an impervious surface on terraces, roofs or façades to collect rainwater, or using a product that is easy to care for since it will require less water for cleaning purposes).
- Regional materials. (both quarried raw materials for production purposes and end products delivered to sites close to the production plant).